UK Mainland Only (excluding alcohol)
From Cool Chile HQ (W3)
Check for locations and prices
1. To make the mignonette, peel and mince the shallots, then place in a bowl with the vinegar and salt. Heat a dry frying pan over medium heat and gently toast the diced Chile Pasilla for a minute or so until fragrant, being careful not to let it burn. Add to the vinegar and let soak.
2. Meanwhile, wrap the ice cubes in a clean tea towel and bash with a rolling pin until crushed as evenly as possible. Put on a plate large enough to hold the oysters.
3. To open the oysters, hold the oyster in one hand with the flat side up, wrap in a thick cloth to protect your hand and use a blunt pointed oyster knife to prise open the hinge. Remove the lid and dislodge the oyster from the bottom shell by running the knife gently underneath it. (This video shows you how to do it!)
4. As you open the oysters, wiggle them into the crushed ice so that they are supported and will contain their juices. Present them in a nice pattern and place the mignonette in a shallow bowl in the middle.
5. To eat ,add about ½ a teaspoon (or to taste) of the mignonette to the oyster making sure to add pieces of shallot and the diced chilli. With your hand, lift the shell to your lips and slurp. Say 'Awhh' after each one.
* You can check which fish is sustainable and its alternatives when you go online to The Good Fish Guide, where you can also download an app for your phone.