- Grill the tomatillos (if using fresh) and tomatoes until charred all over and transfer to a food processor with any juices.
- Once cooled add the chopped tomatoes and blitz into a smooth sauce.
- Heat the oil in a deep sided frying pan and add the onion, bay leaves and salt until the onions are soft and translucent - cook on a low heat approx. 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the tomatillos and tomatoes to the onions, taking care as this will splutter!
- Stir in Mexican oregano, marjoram, thyme, chipotle paste, and simmer, stirring occasionally for approx. 5 minutes then add the chicken and stock and cook on a low heat for a further 20 minutes.
Add a few spoonfuls of chicken tinga on top of your tortilla and garnish with lettuce, pecorino and
How to Make Tostadas
Stale machine made tortillas are best for making deep fried and baked crunchy snacks, this is
because when they have minimum water they will not become greasy. If they are fresh, leave
them to dry on a plate for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Lay your tortillas out in a single layer and brush both sides with rapeseed oil
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes, turning once
- Heat the oil, until hot, 190°C. Lower, one whole tortilla in at a time into the hot oil, cook until most of the bubbles have disappeared and the tortilla is barely golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.